Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Uh, hey, Katie Uhlaender..... Hollaaaaa!

This morning I read this LA Times article by Candus Thomson on US Skeleton athlete Katie Uhlaender, former world championships silver medalist and two-time World Cup champion. Immediately two thoughts came to mind: 1) Ms. Uhlaender's story is worth sharing, and, perhaps more importantly 2) Ms. Uhlaender's holla-ness is worth sharing.

Seeing as how I started this blog with which I can do's whatever I want's .... the first Hollaaaaa! was born!

Before I lose sight of how touching the story is, I'll tell you that the article focuses on the inspiration she draws from her late father, a former Major League outfielder, and how their bond continues to drive her to compete. Some of his advice was pretty straight up (i.e. legit), in my opinion. I implore you to read Thomson's article and be inspired by it as you so will, if you haven't done so already.

Anyhow, we all know that skeleton is one dangerous-assed sport, so Katie deserves a Holla! based on pure bravery alone. As it is now, I contemplate wearing a helmet while driving a car ... and that's inside a two-ton death machine! Katie and her colleagues lie supine and ROCKET face-first down mountains at 80 miles an hour!

With the 2010 Winter Olympics only a couple days away (yes, the Opening Ceremony is Friday, Feb. 12, at 7:30p ET/PT on NBC!), I thought I could pass along another reason for peeps to tune in.

Move over, Lindsey Vonn, Katie Uhlaender is here to kick some cold-weather ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment